Monday, October 29, 2012

Before the Power Goes Out!

As I write this, fat raindrops are pinging off the windows, the dryer's doing the last load of laundry before the storm, and a bowl of (finished) icing and pretzels are on the floor next to me. Hurricane Sandy is slowly churning its way toward Maryland and the rest of the Mid-Atlantic States, work on Monday has been cancelled since Sunday, and I am furiously typing out this blog post and another before the power fizzles out.

This weekend, I trekked up to my beloved alma mater to see the IneligiBowl between the greatest university in the world and... Ohio State. While we didn't win the game, I tailgated with my family, saw my sister perform with the marching band, and got to drink in the excitement and spirit surrounding the contest. I'm sure everyone feels the same way about their college, but there is something so special about Penn State that makes going back rejuvenating.

And talking about marching band and football, I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about the first mobile game to be based on a collegiate marching band. (Spoiler alert: It's free and awesome.)


In Fight on State, a new iPod and iPhone game app, you are the drum major of the best marching band in the country-- nay, the world: The Penn State Blue Band! As you run down the field during pregame towards your iconic, and much anticipated, flip, you must avoid charging football players. Collect notes to gain speed and force as you M-Rob the players out of the way.

The game is completely free to download and play. In addition to playing the game, you can listen to Penn State's fight songs (as recorded by the Blue Band) and learn the lyrics. If you love the game, there is an option to donate to Penn State's THON-- the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. Regardless of your collegiate loyalties, get a free glimpse into another college tradition and download Fight On State from the iTunes App Store today!

Full disclosure: My youngest sister was involved in developing the concept and marketing, so of course, I'm a wee bit biased. I will mention that Max Besong, the designer, artist, and developer of the game is not in any way related to me. Even if I had no familial ties to the project, I would be so excited about this game. I am a band geek. I love all things marching band, and that includes this game.

If you've been keeping track: I've been promising a post about a pumpkin pie nut mix recipe for the last week. If we have power later this morning, it'll be up! I've been holding off to try to get a better picture of the final product, but I'm just going to go with what I've got. Get excited, because this recipe is easy and delicious! And it's coming your way pending Sandy's wrath.

If you're in the hurricane's path, be safe. If you're not close to Sandy, please keep the rest of us in your prayers. 

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I think that the person who helped with Fight On State is pretty awesome too. :P

    Stay safe and enjoy your day off of work. :)



    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, Laura! I hope classes are cancelled and you're nice, warm, and dry (with working internet!)!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo