Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Gra-yes-la Bars!

John recently asked me to send him a package of things he actually needs (Imagine that! A care package that is useful instead of a bunch of candy and fun things!). After I jammed it full of stuff (pictures to follow after he actually receives it), there was a tiny, little bit of space left. Because I find it ridiculous to send a box that has any space in it, I've made it my mission to fill every nook and cranny so that the USPS earns every cent of that $13.50 they charge me to ship Priority.

This time around, I heeded John's plea for healthy food, and I tried out this homemade granola bar recipe.  It was delicious, quick, and exceptionally easy! You can find the original recipe at This Chick Cooks. I'm copying the original below with my notes, changes, and suggestions, but please know that the original recipe is not my original content.


You need:
  • 1 1/4 cups Rice Krispies
  • 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 3 tablespoons ground flax seed (I left this out and nothing terrible happened...)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruit (I used cranberries for a "fall" flavor.)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (I used a half pecan/ half walnut mixture.)
  • 1/4 cup local honey, grade b maple syrup, or light molasses (I used honey.)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup nut butter (I used chunky peanut butter.) 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (Instead of mixing this in, I dusted it on top after pressing the mixture into a pan.)
Directions: 
  •  Combine Krispies, oats, flax seed fruit and nuts in a large bowl. In a small saucepan bring the honey and brown sugar. Remove from heat and stir in the nut butter and vanilla.
  • Pour the nut mixture over the cereal mixture and stir until it is well mixed. Press into a greased 8″ pan or greased mini muffin tins. (Cut into 12 bars if you used a pan.)
    Store them in the refrigerator.
  • If you want to have the chocolate drizzle on top, melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each microwaving. Add just enough canola oil to make the chips smooth and then drizzle on using a baggie with a small hole snipped in it.
Finishing and Packaging Notes:
  • I doubled the recipe (as suggested on the website) and pressed it into a 9x13 aluminum pan. I also drizzled chocolate over the top of them because... well, come on. It's chocolate, that's why. 
  • I cut all of the bars with a pizza wheel and packaged it in Food Saver bags. I was afraid of smooshing them, so I used the "gentle" setting on the Food Saver. 

By the way, have you liked Jo, My Gosh!'s Facebook page yet? Click now! (C'mon...everybody's doing it!)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo