Friday, December 7, 2012

Take My Hand, We'll Make it, I Swear...

If you read yesterday's post, you know that Thursday marked exactly six months of (and theoretically, halfway through) John's deployment. I didn't post this care package yesterday because I didn't want to spoil the surprise for John (he reads the blog every so often). 

However... yesterday, John told me he had gotten the package on Wednesday! 

That means I get to share the care package with you today!




As you may know, John and I met in college at Penn State. We were both trumpets in the greatest college marching band ever to grace the face of the earth. Somewhere during those years, the people in charge of the JumboTronstarted playing "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi in the stadium during games. The student section would sing along, the band eventually got a stands-tune version of it. It became a tradition in the loosest sense of the word. And, it was a lot of fun. 

So, what could be better than summoning the great Bon Jovi and memories of Beaver Stadium to help celebrate the halfway point of John's deployment? 

Cookies. 

Cookies could be better than even Bon Jovi.

Cookies always make everything better.

So, along with the lyrics to "Livin' on a Prayer," I baked John mint chocolate chip cookies. While they were cooling, I cut them in half with a pizza wheel. (Get it, half a cookie? To celebrate half of deployment being over? I crack myself up sometimes.) And there you go. A very small, economical halfway-point care package for a very huge milestone in the deployment.

Tomorrow, I'll be back with a Countdown to Christmas update!


post signature

10 comments:

  1. Seriously the cutest thing I've ever seen. So sweet and such a cool piece of history from your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely so adorable and as a Bon Jovi groupie wannabe, I totally LOVE your title! Stopping by from SITS! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll be on over to your blog in a minute! :-)

      Delete
  3. Too cute. I have to admit, I like the pun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Too bad this one doesn't fit in your Christmas link-up! :-)

      Delete
  4. You had me at "We'll make it, I swear!". Fun post! Visiting from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks visiting, Katy! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. Haha- I love the "half" cookie idea! I'll have to keep that in mind for next deployment. Oddly enough, today marks our halfway point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't go wrong with Bon Jovi and cookies!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo