Friday, October 11, 2013

Knock-off Starbucks Lemon Loaf




John is addicted to everything Starbucks and I've been on a copy-cat recipe kick... which has turned into the perfect combination in our house! (If you take a peek at my Pinterest, you'll see an accumulation of tons of knock-off recipes that I'm just itching to try.  So there will most definitely be more knock-off recipe posts!)

I found this absolutely delicious recipe on On Sutton Place (which is a delightful cooking blog) and had to try it. I've added a few tweaks (but mostly because Ann's recipe was for mini-loafs, and I made a gigantic one).  When I made it, I doubled it and sent one loaf in with John to his command. We had just moved into our temporary apartment (because yes, we are moving so very shortly) and needed a microwave. One of John's coworkers offered to trade a basically new microwave for another loaf of lemon bread.

No, I'm not joking, and yes, it really tastes that good!


You'll Need
Loaf:
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons softened butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons lemon extract
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice (I used freshly squeezed)
  • 1/2 cup of oil
  • zest of one lemon

Glaze: 
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
  • juice of 1/4 lemon

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla and lemon extracts, and lemon juice with the whisk attachment.
  4. Pour dry ingredients. into the wet. Blend smooth.
  5. Add oil and lemon zest. Mix well.
  6. Pour into 9x5 pan and bake for 45 min. or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool.
  8. Combine glaze ingredients an
  9. Use a butter knife to gently loosen the edges of the loaf. Remove the bread and place on a wire rack (I had to bypass this because my wire racks are currently packed and ready for our PCS move.) Place a cookie sheet under the rack and pour glaze over loaf. 
Cutting tip: The loaf cuts much better and cleaner when refrigerated. 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo